E. Jake Berzon
Tel: FIRM-OZ-IQSP (1-347-669-4777)
Email: jake @
IQSP . com
Objective: Senior Product or Marketing Management position with a dynamic
technological market leading company.
- Experienced product and marketing manager with a rich engineering background.
- International experience with Japanese, Spanish, German and Russian
- Product experience in software, mobile, storage, network and semiconductors
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communications
- Able to deliver / improvise top-notch presentations to large companies'
CEOs without notice.
- Named inventor on 2 U.S. issued patents; recipient of multiple company
awards and educational excellence honors.
- Published in newspapers, magazines and online; frequently participated in
conferences, forums and on standards committees.
- Experience with Physical,
Data, Transaction and Application Layer protocols used in mobile communications
and data storage.
- Good working knowledge of the IP suite's Transport Layer
(TCP, UDP) and Application Layer (HTTP, FTP, SIP, DNS) protocols.
- Keywords: HDD, SAN, RAID, fabric, switch,
bridge, 1394a, SAS, SATA, LAN, TCP/IP, Ethernet, Internet, HTTP, SIP, VoIP, FCoE,
International Quality Software Products, LLC, Denver, CO (12/01
Founder and VP of Product Management.
- Conceived, created, marketed and took to profitability
RussianTimes.Com - a community service organization, including an
infotainment portal, a newspaper and an event planner.
- As market conditions for community services deteriorated, added another
line of business - integrated marketing and web presence services for small
businesses and non-profits.
- For a major non-profit client, optimized database design and implemented a
complete system that dynamically displays large volumes of transactional
data using minimal server hardware.
- Major customers included Comcast, New York
Life, San Francisco Opera, LA Kings, UC Berkeley, Monterey Institute for
International Studies, UCLA, University of Southern California.
Brokat Mobile Technologies, San Jose, CA (7/00 - 12/01)
Director of Product Management.
- Full responsibility for all of company's Beaverton, OR based products,
including budgets, product strategy and product roadmaps.
- Lead an Oregon-based team of 54 engineers and three product managers to
deliver world class Application Server, Object Cache, Mobile and Digital Rights
- Enabled mobile wallet, alerts and other data services to work with regular
non-data voice plans.
- Created and lead a cross-functional team geographically distributed in
Germany, Spain, Oregon and California.
- Worked closely with the CEO, CTO and the VP of Marketing to define the
- Created investor presentations and interactive product demos for potential
- Supervised generation of MRDs and competitive analysis of current offerings,
using internal and external secondary as well as hands-on primary research.
- Evaluated current product offering and product plans relative to competition.
Reviewed PRDs for consistency with MRDs.
- Negotiated licensing deals and technical product and general business
partnerships with First Data, Sun, Microsoft, VeriSign, AmDocs, WebGain and
Talk City, Inc., Campbell, CA (10/98 - 7/00)
Senior Product Manager.
- P&L responsibility for all Talk City community products, including clubs and
homepages. Also responsible for viral marketing and the Talk City product
- Established a closed-loop product planning process, including members of
cross-functional teams and result tracking to create product roadmaps and MRDs.
- Built and managed activities of cross-functional team (engineering,
community, marketing, business development, finance) to take products from
cradle to grave, communicating continuously with all team members.
- Defined requirements for internal research focus groups, surveys, polls and
customer interviews. Used Personify to effectively beacon pages and identify
user behavior. Analyzed internal and third party research to enhance product
usability and add value to identified customer segments.
- Performed competitive analysis of current offerings, using internal and
external secondary, as well as hands-on primary research. Evaluated current
product offering and product plans relative to competitions'.
Defined product launch plans and strategy to ensure success of all Talk City
community products in the marketplace. Created plans for product lifecycle
- Performed ROI calculations and revenue forecasts for future products,
monitor performance and make adjustments to product plans based on results.
- Found creative ways to increase inventory available in high CPM targeted
areas and brought innovative revenue opportunities to increase consumer products
- Facilitated product-brainstorming sessions. Managed creation of product
plans into formal MRDs, and through PRDs to released
products. Insured effective communication of product requirements to
Engineering, Creative and Quality departments.
- Worked with business development and OEM product management to negotiate
partner contracts that enhance Talk City Homepage product value.
- Established use of internal reporting tools to measure performance. Applied
secondary media measurement research by Media Metrix to ensure effective online
and offline campaigns.
- Presented product pitches to upper level executives of Excite, Kodak, Hearst
Media and other potential technology investors.
NEC Electronics, Inc., Santa Clara, CA
(11/95 - 10/98)
Senior Product Marketing Manager.
- Built a cross-functional team with representatives from legal, operations
and engineering departments to screen potential partners on technical and
business basis and to create supplier agreements.
- Led single chip controller plus data channel chip integration efforts for
CD-R, CD-R/W and DVD products.
- Set strategy, developed marketing plans, performed feasibility studies, and
brought in development and fabrication partners.
Strategic Marketing Manager.
- Led NEC strategic marketing efforts in the RAID mass storage semiconductor
arena. Partnered with DataPath engineers to take products from cradle to
customer design wins.
- Matrix managed a team of product engineers and marketing specialists to
create collateral, including customer presentations, specification overviews,
sales FAQs and marketing brochures.
- Developed 1394, MR preamp and data channel marketing plans and proposals.
Participated in the 1394, SCSI and FC international standards processes.
Introduced fledgling concepts that evolved into Internet SCSI (iSCSI) and FC
over Ethernet (FCoE), enabling modern day cloud storage concepts.
- Used traditional engineering product documentation, competitive analysis and
outside information sources to create training, technical and marketing
presentations on interface technology and data channels. Edited all data channel
- Worked with legal department and outside legal counsel to file data channel
- Built up an internal lab to support EPRML data channel products. Represented
NEC at the IDEMA test and measurement group activities.
Hitachi America, Ltd., Brisbane, CA
(2/94 - 11/95)
Senior Applications Engineer.
- Built up a disk drive lab to support data channels, preamps and motor driver
- Provided customer support for data channel and preamp products. Worked with
designers in Japan on channel and preamp product plans.
- Made technical marketing customer presentations on PRML data channels.
Trained sales and marketing on data channels and MR heads / preamps.
- Represented Hitachi at the IDEMA test and measurement group activities.
Maxtor Corp., San Jose, CA (9/91 -
Senior Read / Write Engineer.
- Designed from scratch and prototyped a magnetics reliability add-on for a
tribology CSS tester.
- Designed heads / media experiments for a 3.5" high capacity SCSI fully
embedded servo product and performed them on a Guzik spin-stand.
- Conducted evaluations of SSI, Hitachi, Plessey and National Read / Write
- Optimized zoning parameters, channel timing and Phase Lock Loops.
Read / Write Engineer.
- Designed and implemented a 33-zone Read / Write channel for a hybrid servo
2.5" 250 MB IDE and SCSI drives.
- Developed software to automate engineering drive testing and margin
- Conducted evaluations of Hitachi, AD, SSI and AT&T single chip Read / Write
channels. Performed Phase Lock Loop filter calculations and simulations.
Seagate Technology Inc., Minneapolis, MN
(6/87 - 9/91)
- Led a Read / Write channel team to zone a 5 1/4" drive to 1.2GB capacity.
- Invented a concurrent ZBR and write pre-compensation zoning method.
Participated in advanced channels R&D.
- Developed a reliability tester for an MR heads Read / Write channel.
Associate Electrical Engineer.
- Wrote a filter evaluation / design / synthesis software package. Developed
software and hardware for drive evaluation and testing.
- Patented a reduced phase error restart Phase Lock Loop.
- Worked on (1,7) and (2,7) Read / Write channels for 5 1/4" and 8" dedicated
San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
MBA Courses and Seminars: International Marketing, Operations Analysis,
Accounting, Macro and Micro Economics, Marketing, Business Law, Legal
Environment of Business, Managing at a Distance, Time Management and Business
Dealings with Japanese, How to Think Like a CEO.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
1991 A.B.D. for a Ph.D. in Control Science. GPA: 4.0
1989 M.S. in
Electrical Engineering with Mathematics Minor. GPA: 3.8
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
1986 B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
in Applied Mathematics. GPA: 3.7